Monday, November 21, 2005

For a friend

This sweater was started in March and left with the front to complete. However, little did I know that i will be swamped with my own projects, that I left it as un UFO for nearly 7 months.

Lesson One: all finish a project within 2 - 3 months. I do not know why, but my gauge is totally askewed. I was knitting much tighter and i could hardly transfer the open stitches from the holder to the needle. It was only after completing the front then i discovered about the HUGE difference. Although I did the same number of rows, the front was longer by about 10 rows. So I ended up frogging the piece till after the armhole shaping.

Lesson Two: the first time to pick up stitches for the neckband and a v-neck as well. Details on the second picture.

This sweater is meant for a friend, just in time for Christmas! Actually I volunteered to knit a sweater for him so we went to get the yarn and pattern together. Somehow, this sweater wasn't finished till today.

It could have been finished earlier if not for the change in row gauge. I did some changes to the bodice and armhole lengths. I doubt my friend has a long torso, but he definitely has freaking long arms.

Some thoughts on Sirdar patterns is that I would try to avoid using them. I'm not sure who's fault, but it takes quite a while for me to understand some of the shaping instructions

Pattern: Sirdar Leaflet
Yarn: Sirdar Denim Tweed DK
Needle: 4mm (US 6) and 3.75mm for the ribbings
Size: Small
Time to finish: minus the lapsed time, I think about 1 month

4 Loops:

yuvee said...

That's fast!
I really enjoyed meeting you guys, thanks! ;D

Doreen said...

Hi Lois,

This FO is really nice. Good work.

Ruth said...

the sweater looks REALLY nice!! i love the cables (i remember you mentioning that you were a cable girl)... good job! =)

Knitcrazy said...

The sweater is Great.
I often use the Sirdar Pattern... hum??? But now that I think of it... I usually do " change alot of things" :)

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

 
designed by suckmylolly.com