If you do not already know, i've signed up for SP5. Here's my answers to the SP questionnairs
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I'm not exactly a yarn snob, but i do believe that yarns of better quality knits up a better garment. and better quality yarns will be more durable; i do not want something which i had spent many hours and efforts knitting to be out of shape/color in jus a few washes/wear.
Edited: I prefer higher end yarns, so a yarn snob i will be. LOL~
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I do not spin, and have stopped crocheting since 10 years ago.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
no allergies as of today. *cross fingers* no cigarette smoke please, cigar as well.
4. How long have you been knitting?
I have always wanted to learn knitting, but it was only till last November did i pick up the needles to learn. infact, i'm a self-taught knitter.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
my wishlist goes on and on, so any online wishlist is not enough.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
no foody scents please. my nose only agrees to flora or citrusy.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
I do love dark chocolates
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I like origami, and is picking up beading now.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My harddisk is loaded with jazz, new age and favorites from Ministry of Music.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I can't take warm colors like orange, earthy tones. Although i love black, i hasn't knit a single thing in black before.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm living with both my parents and a younger brother. THe last of my hamster family died 2 months ago.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
TO own a yarn shop, so that i can admire the beautiful yarns and sell them as well. anyway, this is just a dream.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
No favorite yet. However i do want to try cashmere, silk and alpaca.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I do like natural fibres for apparels and I won't mind arylic for non-apparals
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I NEED cable projects. i noticed i have too many lace projects and i need a balance between the two.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Cardigans of course, an apparel which is light to carry around yet keeps me warm in air-conditioned rooms.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Take a look at my side bar. It's always updated.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I knitted one from VK Holiday 2004, i guessed its not really me to wear one.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I prefer my Boye set to Denise. Does this answer the question? and i want to try Addi Turbos.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
Not one yet, but i would like to learnt.
22. How did you learn to knit?
Self taught with online videos.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
I rotate my WIPs when i get bore with any of them. the oldest is Mariah which i've procastinated sewing on the zipper for 2 months.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Give me Melody any day. NO Hello Kitty please. and i prefer dogs to cats.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas and the Chinese Mid Autumn Festival, cuz i love having mooncakes.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
I've been collecting postcards, those advertising ones, for more than 5 years.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Iinterweave Knits only, have yet to receive my first copy.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
- Dan Brown's Deception Point
- Shopaholic series (i already have the first 2 in the series)
Sunday, May 29, 2005
If you do not already know, i've signed up for SP5. Here's my answers to the SP questionnairs
Knitted by Lois Leong at 7:39 PM
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
if you have noticed, my side bar is getting longer and longer as i've just joined a few KALs. one of the interesting KALs is the Mystery Stole KAL.
Pictures, pictures, they really tell a thousand words. here goes 3000 words...
Taken while Marian was visiting Singapore
Kimberli was in town last saturday, and we had an encore meetup just for her.
Knitted by Lois Leong at 9:16 PM
Monday, May 23, 2005
Here's some pics on the latest SEX from knithappens.net. the loot arrived last week. i'm quite satisfied with the CS, Kristine was prompt with email replies. *thumbs up*
Calmer and Misti Alpaca
Sally's Handknit cotton and DB Cathay
Belinda's Lorna Laces Lion and Lamb in Black Pearl. simply gorgeous!!!
and not forgetting the Denise set
Knitted by Lois Leong at 10:46 PM
Sunday, May 22, 2005
As i was reading through my previous posts and especially this one, i realised that the patterns are either lace or stockinette/ribbings (not including the man's blue sweater). i missed doing cables!!! Miss them REAL badly.
I think i can get my fix of cables by upsizing this pattern. any tips on upsizing?
Knitted by Lois Leong at 11:35 PM
Monday, May 16, 2005
May is a month to celebrate Mother's Day and coincidentally, my mom's birthday falls in this month. another coincident is that, her colleagues call her May.
on a brighter note for me, i can save on one pressie and get her a bigger one, combined. I have actually finished Pink Diamond yesterday. 99% to be exact, as the shoulder seams are not done. my apologies for being photo-less, as i'm still settling into my new desktop. photos will follow once i install the camera drivers and Photoshop. for touching up.
moving on to finish the Sirdar blue sweater for a friend and swatching for SnBN's Lucky Clover wrap cardigan late last night. i'm using Sirdar Pure Cotton 4 ply on 3.25mm (US 3). i'm quite please with how defined the clover patterns are, however i realised that i'm knitting loosely with this yarn, guess i need to go down 1 size smaller on the needles, given that the pattern called for 3mm and 2mm needles. another S$10 on needles.
on the topic of needles, i have ordered Denise set from knithappens.net and the Boye needlemaster over ebay AT US$39.99 (ex shipping). ever since i started hunting for Boyeon ebay, i developed a love-hate relationship for bidding. i was kind of desperate for the boye set and hit the Buy button on one of the offers, since the seller offers worldwide shipping. with so many needles on the way, i'm anticipating more WIPs in the futures.
Knitted by Lois Leong at 10:40 AM
Tuesday, May 10, 2005
I'm putting up a custom purchase of RYC Cashcotton 4 ply and/or Cashsoft 4 ply for swapping the following items, cuz i can't lay my hands on them. and swapping is a more fun and economical way IMO.
- Rebecca #29 (english translated please)
- 9 balls of Schoeller Stahl Merino Stretch in 1308 Mulberry from Elann.com, together with the free pattern
- 8 balls of Endless Summer Collection Lara in 305 Azure
- 10 balls of Shine from Knitpicks.com in Green Apple
it will be a dollar to dollar swap. i can get both the RYC yarns at 20% cheaper or even lesser than the average $9.
so if anyone is interested, do drop me a comment with your email.
PS. this is an international swap.
i hope i can follow these projects faithfully. as you know, one can get tempted.
1. Lucky Clover wrap from SnBN, in Sirdar Pure Cotton 4 ply
2. Adrienne Vitadini Lace and Ruffles cardigan, still contemplating which yarn to use. most probably a discontinued cotton yarn from Cleckheaton.
3. Audrey from Rowan 35, a purple Paton yarn
4. Honeymoon Cami from Knitty.com, Paton Zhivago, a 50% tencel yarn. i can imagine a clingy and drapey cami.
5. Tempting from Knitty.com as well, Rowan Calmer in Joy. i may switch design for this yarn, since its so expensive.
6. Flower Basket Shawl, Misti Alpaca in Natural Tan. this may be on-going along with other projects.
if i were to have so many projects, i guess i have a solid ground to get more needles. *muahaha* actually i've been bidding and monitoring the boye interchangeables on ebay. hopefully i can get a set in a good price.
Knitted by Lois Leong at 10:13 AM
Sunday, May 08, 2005
Tuesday, May 03, 2005
the compliments from everyone on Mariah really motivates me to generate more FOs. Unfortunately, 24 hours is not enough for someone like me. i can only reminisce the luxury of knitting the whole day and night out.
this is the Sirdar sweater which i volunteered to knit for a friend. turns out that i have more than enough projects which i want to start now. i have stop both the back and the sleeves for the shaping since i have yet to take the measurements of my friend. so i took the excuse and started on my Mom's Sirdar top, which is also meant for Mother's Day cum birthday pressie.
the lace pattern is really hard to follow with YOs, PSSO, s1, etc...that i actually went to the frog pond once (after 2 pattern repeats). i usually would overlook minor mistakes, so u can imagine how disastrous the mistake was. and after that tons of unknitting. *sweats* if not for all these blunders, i would have finish the whole of the back piece.
last saturday's special meetup was quite enjoyable with the addition of Sally, and a guest from Israel, Marian. it was another session of ogling at each other's FOs and WIPs. I've just settle onto my new desktop so the meetup pics will probably have to wait a while.
PS. i'm organising a yarn spree from knithappens.net. email me for more info.
PPS. only locals may join.
Knitted by Lois Leong at 11:25 PM